I have been having a hard time lately with SEO thanks to WordPress comments system. Google somehow decided to index about 1600 ?replytocom and comments?=true links on my blog resulting duplicate content issues with Google Panda algorithm. This is how its reflected on Webmaster tools Index Status
Maybe a bad plugin caused this issue but its really bad for the blog’s SEO. This is also reflecting on the Webmaster tools under “HTML Improvements” saying duplicate title tags and meta descriptions. However harm has been already done and I have decided to 301 redirect the ?replytocom links to the correct pages and implemented parameter handling to rectify this issue.
Outsourcing the comments system is now a popular practice even among the biggest players on the web. I have used disqus in the past on this very same blog but eventually moved back to default comments system to localize everything. But now thinking about all these problems of using inbuilt comments, I thought its time to move to disqus again.
I had around 9200 approved comments and everything got migrated within few hours by using their WordPress plugin. Disqus is also SEO friendly and Google will index the Disqus comments without a problem. Overall I’m happy about the move but I might change to local comments in the future just to experiment things.
Last 5 posts by Ruchira
- The Role of Social Media and SEO - October 25th, 2013
- Google announces uProxy to overcome internet censorship - October 22nd, 2013
- Command line bandwidth monitors for Linux - October 21st, 2013
- How to install and configure a BitTorrent Sync server - July 9th, 2013
- Get a Wild Card SSL certificate for just $2 a Year - June 30th, 2013