Yes I know Ubuntu is pretty. And you want to try it, Maybe you will fall in love with it and use it forever. This is what happened to me. I’m not new to Linux or Ubuntu. I’m using Ubuntu and Centos for ages on web servers. Even this blog runs on Ubuntu server. But I was new to WUBI Windows-based Ubuntu Installer. Basically what it does is install Ubuntu inside Windows, in common way Dual Booting.
So when you are going to install Ubuntu alongside windows you need to remember that its a gimmick. Its like a virtual machine or say a wrapper. So you have to be careful about a very important parameter if you want to use the ubuntu part of your computer for some extent.
So what it is?
Its the Installation size. Using WUBI is like cake. But be careful when choosing the installation size. Please see the image below
I’n my experience I just went ahead and selected 20GB as my installation size. I didn’t had much clue about how hard it is to change this later. Now I have ran in to the problem of running out of space on my so called Ubuntu installation. Unlike windows all of your Ubuntu software center apps and other apps gets installed to this home partition. On my 20 gigs of space I have installed very few apps. And the space is running out. I see interesting games on Ubuntu software center but I cant install those, why? I’m low on disk.
And the solution is expanding the disk. If you have ever used Ubuntu on a server you might know that expanding disks is easy but its not the case with Ubuntu WUBI. If you run out of space you have to run some commands and then resize using windows. Its ok if you are a pro but its not for the faint hearted.
In my case my windows 7 installation was not bootable after the ubuntu install so I dont have an effective way to do this.
Moral of the Story
- Give at least 40GB space as installation size when you going to install Ubuntu inside windows
Last 5 posts by Ruchira
- Slotomania Free Slot Games Review - February 24th, 2015
- The Role of Social Media and SEO - October 25th, 2013
- Google announces uProxy to overcome internet censorship - October 22nd, 2013
- Command line bandwidth monitors for Linux - October 21st, 2013
- Problem Kids: When You Know How To Spy On iPhone Remotely, You Worry Less And Focus Better! - August 19th, 2013