Are you working on Arduino on your Ubuntu environment? If you are using it for the first time you might get face a problem that, Ubuntu doesn’t detect your Arduino board and you cant select the serial port by going to Tools -> serial Port because serial port is grayed out.
Fixing this is easy. This happens because Ubuntu doesn’t give root permissions to the Arduino IDE by default so it cant access the serial connections.
Easiest way is opening up terminal and type in
This will open up arudiono with root access and you will be able to select the serial connection. However this is a temporary fix so you will have to do the same again when you open it next time.
To permanently address the solution, we need to edit the arduino executable file.
Open up the terminal and type
this will open up the file and you need to replace the
like the screenshot below
Then hit Ctrl+O to save and Ctrl+X to exit. That’s it, from now on when you click the Arduino icon it will open with root permissions.
Last 5 posts by Ruchira
- Slotomania Free Slot Games Review - February 24th, 2015
- The Role of Social Media and SEO - October 25th, 2013
- Google announces uProxy to overcome internet censorship - October 22nd, 2013
- Command line bandwidth monitors for Linux - October 21st, 2013
- Problem Kids: When You Know How To Spy On iPhone Remotely, You Worry Less And Focus Better! - August 19th, 2013